Life in the Father's House Memorial OPC, Fall 2008
Conclusion, "The Heart of the Matter" Pastor Matthew Judd
Where have we been?
1. We have realized the Importance of the Local Church - that there is ordinarily no salvation outside of the church.
2. We have seen why it is imperative to Commit Ourselves to Church Membership.
3. We have considered what to look for when Choosing a Good Church (Acts 2:42).
4. We have seen our need to properly Relate to Church Leadership.
5. We have observed God's design in His household as we are to Fulfill Our Roles as Men and Women.
6. We have heard God's call to faithfully and actively Participate in the Stated Worship Services of God.
7. We have been prodded to Use Our Spiritual Gifts for the good of the rest of the body.
8. We have been challenged to care for one another as we Confront One Another in Love.
9. We have seen the importance of Preserving Unity in the Body.
10. We have received God's call to persevere in Praying for One Another.
Caution: We can do all the right things for all the wrong reasons.
In order that we do not fall into this trap, consider the following...
I. When you strive to be a good member of a local church,
you should do so NOT to be saved, but BECAUSE you have been saved.
II. When you strive to be a good member of a local church,
you should do so NOT to be more loved by God, but BECAUSE He already loves you.
III. When you strive to be a good member of a local church,
you should do so NOT to be accepted or esteemed by others, but to be pleasing to GOD.
IV. Your involvement in Christ's church as a good member is
NOT (primarily) for YOU to be served, but that you might serve OTHERS in the name of Christ.
A Study in the Westminster Shorter Catechism (using G.I. Williamson's book as a guide)
A Study in Apologetics (i.e. Lee Strobel's book, Reasons for Faith, or G. Bahnsen's book, Always Ready)
A Study on Seeing Christ in the Old Testament (i.e. C. Wright, or T. Longman)
A Study in Job (Rick Schumacher)